Medicaid is available for either skilled care or Assisted Living for those who qualify. Visit or call your local Nebraska Health and Human Services System and request an application, fill out and return it, and then an appointment is scheduled after the application is received. If you know that your resources will last you about six months, please start contacting the Department of Social Services because you can still keep $4000.00 and place $4153 in an irrevocable burial fund and still qualify for assistance. The paperwork process can take several months at times depending upon the conditions.
Those residents that have been approved for Medicaid assistance will be entitled to the following services within the daily rate that Medicaid reimburses the center.
- Routine nursing care services, including oxygen and related medications, laboratory tests ordered by the physician, normal personal hygiene including bathing, skin care, washing hair (excludes professional barber/beauty services), nail care, shaving, and oral hygiene.
- Routine items furnished to all residents such as gowns, water pitchers, basins, stocked medical supplies and stocked person hygiene items such as soap, lotion, toothpaste, tissues, incontinent pants, hearing aid batteries, etc.
- Laundry services including washing personal clothing with the exception of dry cleaning.
- Food and nutritional supplements.
- Appliances such as wheelchairs, walkers, and canes.
- Transportation to medical appointments. Ambulance services are covered when medically necessary and when all other methods of transportation are contra-indicated.
Medicaid allows the nursing home resident to retain $50.00 per month, and the Assisted Living resident $60.00 per month, from their social security check for personal needs. You or your payee is responsible to utilize these funds as needed for those items such as the following:
- Professional beauty/barber shop services.
- Personal clothes (other than gowns and washable incontinent products).
- Over the counter medications not ordered by your physician.
- Telephone and/or telephone call charges, television, and newspapers. A discounted rate for the telephone is available by calling 1-800-526-0017.
Medicaid also provides for the following services with prior authorization, therefore, it is very important that your doctor providing this service knows that you are Medicaid eligible. The doctor or place of service will contact the State Office for prior authorization. Prior authorization is needed because there are guidelines and certain time frames involved for these types of services. Services may include:
- Eye exams, eye glasses, and surgery.
- Dental exams and dentures.
- Hearing aides, repairs and batteries.
- Medical appointments with your doctor.
If you have any further questions you may contact the Department of Health and Human Services System closest to the responsible party. The local offices around Gold Crest are listed below.Gage County Dept Health and Human Services
(Located on SCC Campus) 5109 West Scott Rd, Ste 401 Beatrice NE 68310 1-800-554-9123 Nebraska Health and Human Services 301 Centennial Mall South PO Box 95026 Lincoln NE 68509 1-402-471-9147 Johnson County Dept of HHS PO Box 839 Tecumseh NE 68450 1-402-335-4102 Medicare/Medicaid Fraud Control Unit Nebraska Dept of HHS Finance and Support PO Box 95026 Lincoln NE 68501 1-402-471-9147 Lancaster County Dept of HHS 1050 N St Lincoln NE 68508 1-402-471-7000